Part 2 - Father's Day dawned clear and beautiful. Jerry got the coffee going - we are using a percolator - not the electric kind - we are talking stove top kind. I thought back to mornings at Grandmother Ruby's. He did very well. We decided to talk a little ride around the lake and just as we got in the boat JoAnn and Cara (the other sister) came up and wanted to know if we would like to look at the Point cabin. Off we hiked thru the woods to the cabin. It is a little larger and has internet and a tv - can only watch videos but that's okay. We decided this would be great so back to Brigadoon to pack up and move. The girls came over in one of their boats so it was much easier. Got everything up to cabin, they had even loaded the cold stuff into frig. I must say, at first, my Southern ears were having a problem understanding them but it is improving eh!! So we finally get out on the water. JoAnn had told us of a bay with a grass bed so that was our first stop - no luck. Jerry spotted a rocky point so off we went - no luck. We changed lures, moved back over the point - success. He reeled in a beautiful small mouth - pics to follow. Then I got one - my first ever! We each got a smaller one then it happened. Jerry hooked a pike - my first time to see one of those. Unfortunately for the fish, it had inhaled the lure - treble hooks and all. Jerry worked getting them out, put the fish back in the water but it didn't make it - into the live well. Saw a bald eagle light in a tree, it watched us for a while then took off again. We had a pair of loons in the bay so got to hear them call as well as an owl, woodpecker and I saw Theodore, Simon and Alvin's Canadian cuz - a wild chipmunk! Light rain started up so I donned my rain pants, Jerry caught another bronze back and we called it an evening. Jerry cleaned up the fish, I cooked some rice, sliced up tomato and fried up the fish - first time eating pike - good eatin'. Bedtime around 11 and was serenaded to sleep by that haunting call of the loon. Storms rolled thru early morn - lots of rain and thunder but managed to go back to sleep.
Morning dawned cloudy but not much wind. Jerry is up at the lodge checking on the boat and probably getting some pointers from Chris on where to fish today. Jerry's back and it looks like he will go out with Chris on guided trip tomorrow afternoon. Temps are in high 60's/low 70's today and tomorrow but Wed. looks like high in 50's. Looking at 10 day forecast, this should be end of high rain chances - it drops back down to 10-20% each day.
I enjoy reading the posts! :)I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Northern Pike! I could eat it every day and not get tired of it - it's so light and fresh - tasty! You guys have already seen quite a bit of wildlife too! Be on the lookout for moose & bear!(I bet those are on your list!) When the skies clear up, you're going to see the most magnificent sunsets!!
ReplyDelete