Part 1 - I want to bring everyone up-to-date on our trip. First day was uneventful other than a rest stop we made north of Ames Iowa - we were switching drivers at state-run rest stop. Walked into ladies side and saw a man's head above the stall walls. I stepped back out, looked at the sign - sure enough it was the ladies. Looked over at the mens - sign up saying WET FLOOR - it did not say closed! Decided I could wait a little longer so I left. Spent that night in Mason City.
Since we knew our second day would not be as long as the first one, we were in no rush to leave early. We made it 2 exits up the road and on the northwestern horizon was a fishing mecca - CABELA'S. I told Jerry we might as well make the most of it since this is the closest we have ever come to one. We spent about an hour, had lunch and off we went again. Close to Minneapolis a male pheasant flew over the front of the truck - first time seeing one of those. The northern states take the opportunity during summer to repair roads. Now I'm not talking about patching - they actually have dug up one side of the freeway. I think they have crews working 24/7 to complete before cold weather returns. Second night in Grand Rapids MN - birthplace of Judy Garland and it was Judy Garland weekend. Our hotel was next door to house and museum.
Up and at 'em Saturday morn. Shopped at W*Mart, iced down the cold stuff and hit the road. Stopped in International Falls for lunch and crossed the border. Canadian agent was very nice - asked some questions, told us to remember to sign our passports and off we went. We did not have to get in line to have vehicles searched! Skies started looking really purple-gray to the southwest so we knew we were in a time race. Made it to 502, turned north and got hit by leading edge of storm - lots of rain but the wind was really howling but did see a magpie. We found Cedar Narrows Road and headed to the Essox Landing. This is a loggers road so it was gravel and by this time muddy. It was a light rain by the time we got to the landing so on with the rain suits and started unloading the truck. Thank goodness the boat has a lot of underdeck storage. Put the boat in the water - wouldn't start. We have had a little problem with the Yamaha four-stroke starting when it is cold. Jerry fiddled with it and finally it ran without sputtering out. So off we go in search of the camp.
What an adventure and your trip has just begun! :)
ReplyDeleteOh my, you turned wrong for a reason! Don't stress about it.
ReplyDeleteAnd I forgot to asked.....since you were next door, did you step outside and sing a couple of lines from....."Come Rain or Come Shine!"? Or at least "Somewhere Over......"?
ReplyDelete