Double Double Day!!! The morning was beautiful - the bluebird sky and fluffy white clouds with a slight chance of rain. So off we went, in hunt for lunch. Jerry took me to a bay northwest of camp. Fished for a little while - no action. We were close to the waterfall from one lake into Manitou so we tied up the boat and started looking around. There were rocks you could jump to get kinda close but with my balance issue I chose to hang around the boat (yoga really does help with balance and I'm really missing it). Jerry managed to get almost to the falls but he said he would have to wade to get to the top. We shoved off and went just about 100 feet down from the falls and started fishing with spoons. We both had a couple of follows and then WHAM - we both had fish and both were pike. Boated them and off we went again. We each boated another. Another cast - AGAIN - we both had fish. Now we are talking some fun. Fished a little longer and we were catching some small ones. Had a few follows and a few that took the lure at the boat with maybe 2 feet of line out. We moved across the water and I caught a small mouth. I cast again and got hung up on submerged log. About the time I was telling Jerry, he said WHOA - he had on a good size fish. He got it up to the boat and it was a really big pike - at least to my standards it was big! He had to land it with the net and without me since I was still "stuck". I did manage to get the scales out so we could quickly weigh it before returning it to the water. There is a slot limit up here - between 27.5" and 35.5" you have to throw back. We knew he was definitely over 27.5". Most of the fish we are keeping are between 20" and 24". We heard rumbling but it wasn't from an approaching storm - it was our tummies. Jerry cleaned fish while I fixed country taters and onions with fresh cucs and maters on the side along with fresh fried pike. As Rachel Ray would say - YUMMO. So we are ahead on the fish - enough for two meals just in case the fish turn off which, up here, they do routinely.
The camp is having a muskie tournament today. 7:30 this morn there was a BANG and off they went. Some of the lures they use to "hunt" muskie are between 1 and 2 feet - that's right. Don't think I want to see anything that hits a lure that big. Most of the time all they do is follow up to boat.
Listened to the Hogs game last night. So close but they had a great run. Jerry has gone to get the boat so I better finish up. Got a few pics for ya. #1 - Jerry and the 7 lb. 4 oz. pike caught on their favorite lure - Len Thompson #2 gold spoon. #2 - if you look in the middle of the pic there is a dot and that is a bald eagle - we got just a little too close for comfort. #3 & #4 - small mouth Jer caught fly fishing late yesterday afternoon. #5 - crescent moon after sunset. The time of the pic is 9:52!! Love to all.
Love Canadian sunsets! Heck, I was probably getting ready for bed when this pic was taken! Glad to see Dad fly fishing too!
ReplyDelete